A collection of walks, discoveries, insights and pictures of exploring Dartmoor National Park
November 3, 2021
Yeoland Mine Bound Stones
There was a East Yeoland Mine reported in 1848 and West Yeoland Mine reported in 1851 as recorded in Dave Brewers 2nd edition Dartmoor Boundary Markers book (P209). These mine reports are complemented with a visual record of a Yeoland Mine shown on 19th Century maps with it being located to the east of the A386 on Roborough Common near Yeoland Farm. Also on 19th Century maps, to the east of the aforementioned location of the Yeoland Mine, there are four “stones” marked. These stones mark out a roughly rectangular shape from Yeoland Farm enclosures in the east and the former Plymouth and Dartmoor Tramway in the west. In the Dave Brewer publication, it is recorded that the four “bound” stones represent an area leased to James Yonge, Joseph Square and Ponsford Fisher by Lord Roborough in 1847.
The mine was put up for sale in 1857, this in spite that £13,000 (equivalent to £1.4m in 2021) worth of black tin being mined in 1856. Dave Brewer in his book, further states that the mine finally closed around 1890 (although he states this date is unconfirmed).
The author is grateful to Mark Fenlon for additional information is finding the B inscribed stone.