Below Dewerstone Hill within the woodland lies some extensive nineteenth century granite quarries. It is believed that the quarrying began from around 1840 and most had probably finished by 1882 (definitely by 1904). Many of the quarries have (or appear to have) circular crane bases within them and one quarry appears to have the foundations of an old building. The area is especially noted for its tramway (with incline plane) which still has many stone setts in situ, which links the quarries. Part of the infrastructure remains includes a ruined drum house at the top of the incline plane. To the west lies Dewerstone Cottage ( a former site manager’s house which included a smithy) and a stone embankment near the River Meavy which was built with the intention to link the granite tramway with the South Devon and Tavistock Railway. The stone bridge intended to cross the river to connect the tramway (embankment) and the railway was never completed and an abutment (of the bridge) on west side of River Meavy is still extant.