RAF Hawks Tor was a Chain Home radar station located below Hawks Tor on Shaugh Moor close to Beatland Corner and the Shaugh Prior / Wotter road. It was known as CH15M (in the chain) and was established by 18th April 1941. The demolition of the base wasn’t particularly thorough and most features are still very discernible to the visitor. The site formed part of the Chain Home RDF system (later known as radar). Principally, the site was used to detect approaching enemy aircraft. This post attempts to record all the salient features of the site which include the footings of : Mast Bases, Transmitter Receiver Blocks, Admin Blocks, Air Raid Shelters and Slit Trenches. The source of information for this post has primarily been from Dartmoor Heritage Gateway (ref 1123713) and ‘Field Archaeology of Dartmoor’ by Dr Phil Newman.
May 14, 2021