Dartmoor Explorations

A collection of walks, discoveries, insights and pictures of exploring Dartmoor National Park

Norsworthy Bridge

Norsworthy or Nosworthy Bridge spans the River Meavy just north of where Newleycombe Lake joins and where the two water courses spill into Burrator Reservoir. The current bridge dates from at least the early 19th century (it appears on the 1840 tithe map). As with many bridges across the moor (and county) there are or at least were two ā€œCā€ (for County) inscribed stones approx 100m from each end of the bridge identifying that the county was responsible for maintaining the bridge and approaches between the two stones. The west stone and inscription is extant with the east stone being (most probably) extant but with the inscription missing due to the boulder on which it was located having been split.

0. Map
Map of the Norsworthy Bridge and its environs.
1. Norsworthy Bridge a
Nosworthy or Norsworthy bridge has a single arch which spans the River Meavy.
2. Norsworthy Bridge b
Norsworthy Bridge is marked on 1840 tithe map.
3. C Stone West a
The west ‘C’ stone is a native (earth fast) boulder rather than using an erected set stone.
3. C Stone West b
The west ‘C’ stone is located at SX56688 69348
3. C Stone West c
Contextual view of the west ‘C’ stone in relation to Norsworthy Bridge (just before the cars).
4. River Meavy
River Meavy north of the bridge a mere trickle in late winter 2022/23.
5. Newleycombe Lake a
The bridge over Newleycombe Lake has modern pipes but was described by Crossing as being “In the style of the old clappers, formed of slabs of granite laid across the stream”.
5. Newleycombe Lake b
The bridge over Newleycombe Lake is not marked on the 1840 tithe map.
6. C Stone East a
Another ‘C’ stone (or boulder) would have been located on the east side of Norsworthy Bridge, near Bal Mine. At the bottom of the remaining part of the mine wheelpit ‘tailrace’ (which would have at one time extended to Newleycombe Lake), is a large rock, whose location lines up with the grid reference taken from an old 19th century map (from side-by-side maps). This boulder appears to have once protruded into the road and has had part of it cut away as indicated by a bore hole which appears on it. The author (along with Dave Brewer – Dartmoor Boundary Markers) speculates that this boulder once had a ‘C’ inscribed on it which at some time was removed.
6. C Stone East b
The (probable) east ‘C’ stone is located at SX56833 69345

Total Page Visits: 694 - Today Page Visits: 2

Next Post

Previous Post

Leave a Reply

© 2024 Dartmoor Explorations

Theme by Anders Norén

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial