Steve Grigg and Frank Collinson
This post covers a small area adjacent to the Ashburton / Widecombe road between the ruins of Newhouse and Hemsworthy Gate area. There is a triple Parish meeting point (at Grey Goose Nest Boundary Stone), where the Parishes of Ashburton, Widecombe and Ilsington come together. Not far away, to the south near Blackslade Ford is Buckland Parish.
Of interest is the disputed area in blue, which lies just outside the modern parish boundary. It is believed that the Ashburton Parish Boundary might have extended at one time to include the area as its extent is close to where there was an ancient trackway. The Woodley family of Halsanger manor in the Parish of Ashburton built their enclosures (low walls) from Culver House / Newhouse close to the said trackway. However, in 1771 the Lords of the Manor of Buckland too the Woodleys to court over the matter, winning their case as they claimed the boundary was a straight line (as seen on the map). The confusion was partly caused by the original description of the perambulations changing over the centuries. To add insult to injury, the Woodleys were forced to breach the walls of their own enclosures. The Woodleys, who were custodians of Halsanger manor from 1586 to 1925, took the matter to court again in the early part of the 20th century but again lost as the straight line Parish boundary was very well established at that time. The source of this information is Dave Brewer Dartmoor Boundary Markers (1st edition – 1986 and 2nd edition – 2002).