A collection of walks, discoveries, insights and pictures of exploring Dartmoor National Park
November 26, 2021
Cholwell Boundary Stones
Cholwell Farmstead dates from at least the early-mid 19th century, based on cartographic evidence, but may be older according to the entry on the Dartmoor HER. It is situated on the eastern side of the Tavistock-Okehampton road (A386) near the well known landmark of Wheal Besty (Engine House and Chimney). The eastern boundary of the farm enclosure is defined by a post and wire fence along the the line of an old reave.
Dave Brewer in his 2nd edition (2002) Dartmoor Boundary Markers book (p197), mentions there is a small inscribed boundstone located on this eastern boundary, which is approx. 18 inches (0.45m) tall. On researching the location for this boundstone, the author found there were actually two marked on the OS 1873-1888 (National Library of Scotland).
On searching the boundary, two boundstones were located, each with an inscribed “B” on one face and “C” on the reverse. Dave Brewer speculates that these inscriptions stand for Cholwell (“C”) and Buller (“B”). John Buller esq. was a considerable land owner in the area with extensive mining interests around Mary Tavy.