A collection of walks, discoveries, insights and pictures of exploring Dartmoor National Park
December 9, 2021
British Transport Commission (BTC) Posts at the former Railway terminus/Station and sidings at Princetown
Just to the south of the former Princetown railway terminus and next to the public footpath between the village and the old railway line lies a very marshy piece of land, which surprisingly contains five boundary markers. Three of the boundary markers are granite posts and are inscribed PCWW 1932 to denote the extending of the watershed lands to the Plymouth City Water Works in 1932 which led to their erection. The other two markers are short concrete posts and are part hidden in the rushes with each having set upon their top surface, a bronze plaque with “BTC” in relief.
These concrete posts and their bronze plaques would have been erected around 1948. The “BTC” marking on each plaque stands for British Transport Commission, which refers to the period when the British Railway system was nationalised (from 1st January 1948). By referring to an OS map from 1949, the two posts coincide with the then boundary of the former railway station / terminus and sidings (which are now fields). Source: Dartmoor Boundary Markers (2nd Edition), Dave Brewer 2002, page 230.