Dartmoor Explorations

A collection of walks, discoveries, insights and pictures of exploring Dartmoor National Park


The ‘then and now’ pictures in this post are from 1889, 1910 and 2021. The village retains a wonderful old world charm and aside the tarmac and modern vehicles, little appears to have changed. There is, however a subtle change between the 1889 and 1910 pictures shown in the post.

Drewsteignton in 1889. This view (aside tarmac and modern vehicles) has changed very little. The delightful Holy Trinity church stands like a sentinel overlooking the village scene.
A slightly different view from 1910, with a subtle change to the Holy Trinity Church from the 1889 view. insofar as there is now a clock face showing. The original (faceless) clock was removed from the church tower in 1892, when the present movement was installed. It had been made by an unknown local craftsman c.1670-1700. It had neither a face nor hands but struck the hours on the tower bell. It is now in the back of the nave. Source : Heritage Gateway.
The scene from a rather wet day in May 2021. One hopes the Drewe Arms will secure a new owner.
1889 combined with 2021. In the mid-19th century, some antiquarians believed that Dartmoor was the haunt of Druid’s. They thought Drewsteignton meant ‘The Druid’s Town on the Teign’. The village was called ‘Teigntona’ at the time of the Domesday Book.
Total Page Visits: 715 - Today Page Visits: 1

Next Post

Previous Post

Leave a Reply

© 2024 Dartmoor Explorations

Theme by Anders Norén

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial