A collection of walks, discoveries, insights and pictures of exploring Dartmoor National Park
September 18, 2020
DOE TOR FARM
Steve Grigg and Frank Collinson
This abandoned farm nestles under the southern slopes of Doe Tor. It is believed it was established around the 1730’s and was a working farm up to 1955 and, like so many other buildings no longer in use on Dartmoor was demolished; this was around 1970. Eric Hemery mentions the farm in “High Dartmoor” (p921) and tells us that the water supply came from an open leat which extracted water from the Doe Tor Brook and ran to a clay pipe chute in the farmyard.The water was for both domestic and farm uses. Using a Wessex Archaeology (WA) survey (2007), it is possible to trace the farmhouse and porch, a cart linhay, a barn, a lean-to kitchen, a dairy larder, a shippon, a calf shed, a vegetable garden, an outhouse and the location of a possible dutch barn.
A Ministry of Agriculture survey taken in 1941 gives a good idea of the various land uses at the time; fodder crops of oats, potatoes, turnips and swedes were being grown along with hay. The grazing land was stocked with cattle and sheep and there was the normal flock of farm hens along with two workhorses (source: Legendary Dartmoor website).