Dartmoor Explorations

A collection of walks, discoveries, insights and pictures of exploring Dartmoor National Park

BLACKSMITHS SHOP NEXT TO GRIMSTONE AND SORTRIDGE LEAT ON SIDE OF BARN HILL

Nigel Machin

Blacksmiths Shop
Next to the Grimstone and Sortidge Leat on Barn Hill there was a smithy. Here it was in 1953 with the wheelwright’s stone visible on the left hand join between the pictures.
The caption to the original photo in the Dartmoor Trust’s archive, reads: ‘The roofless shell of Blacksmith’s Shop otherwise known as Mine House on Barn Hill, with Vixen Tor and King Tor behind, photographed in 1953. This well-known landmark, probably built in 1871 as a smithy to serve stonecutters in the area, was demolished in June 1964 by Blundell’s School Army Cadet Force with the authorisation of the Dartmoor National Park Committee.’
Please follow and like us:
error1
fb-share-icon0
Tweet 20
fb-share-icon20
Total Page Visits: 43 - Today Page Visits: 2

Next Post

Previous Post

Leave a Reply

© 2021 Dartmoor Explorations

Theme by Anders Norén